Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The End.

10 years ago I went to Quebec City for the second time. Being an experienced partier in the region from the year before, i thought I was going to rule Chemin Ste. Foy... Or at least run down it naked. Neither happened.
I did meet a wonderful girl though. She was from Victoria B.C. but she was born in The Philippines. She was shorter than me and looked up me with brown eyes that made me forget what i was talking about when they met mine.
The connection we made was something I cannot explain and I haven't felt since. It seemed that we had so much in common (as much as a Filipino and a Newfie can have, I suppose) It felt like I always had something to talk about and everything that came from my lips felt right.
I turned on a Philosopher Kings CD today and this is where this post evolved. They were a relatively new band on the go at the time and we were both surprised that the other person liked them. I didn't have the album for very long at the time. We were in her room one evening and she put on the CD. "This is one of my favorites" she said. A beautiful, sad song filled the room and I loved it. I loved everything about that moment. The song was terribly sad and wouldn't be played in any romantic setting but I didn't care. It just felt right.
The first few chords played on the piano instantly bring me back to that moment and to one of happier moments in my life. I must admit, the song's lyrics have taken a different meaning because of recent events in my life but nonetheless, My first thoughts are of her and that July evening.
After that month, I went back to Newfoundland and never saw her again. We tried to keep in touch but our expanding lives got in the way and we lost touch. We recently got back in contact via facebook. She's a Doctor now in Calgary. That didn't surprise me in the least. She was/is very smart and ambitious.
So this is for you Jazmin.



No comments: