Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sarah said I had to wash my hands after touching the cat....

While I was peeing, I decided to make a list of the shittiest (or my least favorite) cover songs. It should go along with this list that I made a few months ago.

Johnny Cash - "One" / Original by U2

This was the inspiration of my list. This was a real tearjerker in its original incarnation. There really was no need to redo it. The Johnny Cash "growl" didn't really fit the song.



Toad the Wet Sprocket - Rock and Roll All Nite / Original by Kiss

This appeared on the Kiss Tribute album "Kiss My Ass". It took the life out of the song by turning it into a sticky-sweet ballad. Gene Simmonds said in an interview that when they were compiling this tribute, they went for songs that sounded different from the Kiss originals. I think he should have went for something that sounded "good" rather than "different". This song could be performed by anybody in any number of styles and it still would sound shitty. It has to be played live. Kiss knows that better than anyone. Their studio version of the song is fucking lame.
*Sidenote*: On the same album, Lenny Kravitz does a version of "Deuce" that is one of my favorites, as is "Detroit Rock City" by the Mighty Might Bosstones which made my favorite covers list.




Me First and the Gimme Gimme's - Somewhere Over the Rainbow / Original by Judy Garland

This just wasn't necessary and seemed thrown together.




William Shatner - Rocket Man / Original by Elton John
What would this list be without an appearance form Captain Kirk.


Sheryl Crow -
Sweet Child o' Mine / Original By Guns n' Roses
Take the reason why I put "One" up here and do a vice-versea on it. Too soft

*Youtube doesn't have Sheryl Crow singing her bullshit.... I don't blame them*

Madonna - American Pie / Original by Don McLean
No need for this. The original was boring. It didn't need to sound shitty too.

That's it for now. More will come to me in the next couple of days, I'm sure....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell? Shatner singing Rocket man?

It's worth coming to your site.

Kirk, Miranda & Bear said...

Add "I'm a Believer" by Smashmouth (orig. Neil Diamond) and you could rename this list "Miranda's Fave Cover Songs"!

I may be tone deaf.